Tuesday 14 June 2016

Django for SIM

SIM converts a file into a number of database tables. This is done in order make the analysis process easier. Also doing so will allow us to see the details of more than one structures at one place. More over the analyst will be able to compare and contrast the features and facts about these different structures. Skipping over many uses, finally when completed, a user of SIM will be able to actually generate the file from the database as well. This will be a stellar feature. Components from different structures could then be used to create a new one. 
But to do all of this we need an interface. An interface using which any one can upload files to parse or access data of already parsed files and whatnot. We decided to pursue the way of the web for this interface. 
Django is a python based web management framework. And Django is what we are going to  use to transfer our data base onto a nice and simple web page. And then slowly turn this into a working web application. 

Problems/ Diffculties:
Django is easy to use. So they all said. But of course I needed to check that for my self and then form any opinion of it. I am sort of a technically challenged fella. This simple means it takes me time to get my self properly acquainted with new software let alone start using them for some productive work. Having said that, I was able to install and use Django in the matter of a hour or so. I also followed along a tutorial and was able to create a poll app with modest success. All was good up and till this point.
But then I re did everything for SIM. There were many burning questions, things that I didn't quite understand but just applied to get the job done. And then things took a turn south. 
The major problem is that the tables created by SIM constantly use an attribute by the name of ID. But for some reasons this is not allowed by Django unless you make that field as the primary key, which I can't because some of these fields are not supposed to be the primary key for their respective tables. This is a weird thing. I hope to find the reason and hence the solution for this.   

No comments:

Post a Comment