Saturday 2 July 2016

Learning VIM

VIM, the programmer's text editor. That is how VIM has been advertised to me by experienced Linux users. On my earliest encounters with VIM and Linux in general, I found the whole terminal command thing a stereotyped and glorified non-necessity. I was of the ignorant opinion that since GUI is much more modern it must be for the better. 
But as is the case with change in general, change in perspective comes rather slowly. Opinions are often stubborn in nature, they need much persuasion to bend to the truth.
Subject to a similar learning curve, I decided its about that learn VIM. Why you ask? Well because:
  1. All it wants from you is typing, it has nothing or very little to do with the mouse or arrow keys.
  2. Functions, my god so many functions. When in the command mode it's like every key has a purpose to it.
  3. Vim is all you get sometimes, when working with remote machines that do not have a GUI editor for you. In such case it becomes a necessity not merely a choice.
  4. It looks cool. It makes the observer think you are invincible.
Since it is not GUI, it may prove to be a little counter intuitive at first, specially after so many years of working with GUI. But as the saying goes, "Practice makes perfect". And practice is what I should be doing. You should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment