Sunday 3 July 2016

Nerves of Steal

Udta Punjab is a fine film. It engendered a sincere concern in my conscious for how infected our beloved Punjab is at the hands of addiction.

I watched it on my computer, alone. Thinking about it, if I would have watched it in a theater with my friends, the impact would have even more deep. But then nothing beats getting things for free. 
Does it? 
No. 
The movie was there on the Internet and I took it.

The purpose of telling you this is establishing two things, one that I am a morally good and progressive fella and second that I essentially participated in thievery. The guys who made the movie put so much effort and money (and then some extra effort thanks to politics as usual) and got only appreciation from my end where money is what they were hoping for primarily.

Someone leaked the movie, which commensurate to taking something you are not allowed to take and then giving it to someone without permission. This sounds like an euphemism for stealing. And it is. This sort of thing is illegal I guess. So to get things into a less scattered perspective, I took advantage of someone's offensive act of stealing (against the producers) and benefited for my own amusement.
Do I feel guilty for this? 
No. 
Should I? 
Let's see.

Stealing is bad. That is something we've been told all so vehemently for so many years. And for the most part this adds up too. Stealing is bad. How can we question the unrighteousness of something that involves taking what is not yours?

Taking a reference from another beloved movie, The Equalizer, I would like to present before you a question: 
Why should we help others? 
Because we can. 

And if by chance we cannot, then we can simply hope or maybe pray (if you think it'll actually help). 
This takes us to the very cruel concept of ability. Ability is not distributed evenly among all of us. While some of us are modestly able, others can be ruthless and abusive. This unbalance between the powerful and the poor becomes more severe when mixed in with the notion of stealing. If stealing was to be legal then that would certainly accelerate the whole survival of the fittest process.
Simply put, it will converge into the question of- 
Why should we steal from others? 
Because we can.

This sort of anarchy (alleged) is pitched to be ominous (which it very well may be). But is it though?

One thing we all agree on is that nature must be protected. Because nature is pure. An unadulterated version of the earth. And while we all long for the lost glory of the perfect jungle, we conveniently choose to miss out of its most fundamental rule. Survival of the fittest. Eat until you get eaten. There is nothing civil about nature. Nothing is fair. But ask yourself one thing, if every thing and every one is allowed to be so unfair, then isn't that the most fair arrangement you can imagine? And that is exactly how nature works.

Stealing is simple, it's natural and uncomplicated. If some one powerful steals something from you, there is always someone below you, in the hierarchy of power. The human race is currently functioning on a more civilized protocol and I am not questioning its efficacy or proposing a change. But I think the separating gap between the rich and the poor will be much more narrow if natural ways are permitted. At this point I would like to recommend a movie, The Purge Anarchy. It kind of is about how powerless the rich can be if the concept of ownership is overruled by the concept of possession i.e. you own anything you can take possession of.

I must be sounding utterly moronic, but that is fine. At least I am being honest. Put some thought into what I mean or better yet, enjoy your illegally downloaded episode of Game of thrones.


No comments:

Post a Comment