Wednesday 30 November 2016

Adding packages to Buildroot for BLE testing.

Shifting my intentions to another pending task the mission for today was to setup a Linux environment that had everything required to test a BLE adapter. Most of these packages are easily installed using the apt-get install command. Everything is set right? No!
Buildroot does not support the inclusion of apt-get in the environments it builds. It offers a rich set of packages that one can use to be a part of the environment. But that is about it. Nothing much can be done after that. The packages I needed were not part of the "rich set" that buildroot offered. Dead end.
The next option I had was to include these packages by source. There is precedence here. Buildroot does acknowledge the fact that it can not include everything and hence offers a way in which people can make packages a part of buildroot on there local systems. This required me to gather all the required packages and add them to buildroot manually. It promised to be a long task. But don't worry cause after a while I discovered that not all packages I need are available. Brick wall.
Facing defeat I turned to the most potent weapon I had. Compromise. I compromised on some test cases hence reducing the packages I needed to perform them. By the end of the day I had an environment that tested a BLE adapter ALMOST comprehensively.
Victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment